Paprikash!

2:29 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

I was gifted with some awesome new cooking tools for Christmas.  So I took that as an invitation to up my game.  Often times I'll cook entire meals with one or two pots, the same broken spatula and whatever knife is most handy.  I've even used the unwashed pan we fried breakfast bacon in to saute dinners collard greens. I'm all about simplicity.

Trying to lighten up favorite recipes or putting my own a spin on things has become quite a passion.  This week I finally (resolution complete!) put all my recipes from magazines or printed from websites into protective plastic and organized in a binder. It looks great and I'm excited to add to it.

Last night, I had time to grocery shop and whip up something we've never had before. Chicken Paprikash.  It just sounds good. This version came from Clean Eating, one of the only mags I love enough to subscribe to and get in the mail each month.

Cooking for just two, I cut the protein and fat portions in half but still made the whole lot of veggies. Here's the full version, serves 4.

Ingredients:
2 TBSP whole-wheat flour
4 tsp sweet paprika, divided
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 TBSP olive oil
4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, optional
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
1/2 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp chopped fresh dill

1. In a big bowl combine, flour, 1 tsp paprika, and salt.

2. In a large skillet, heat oil on med-high. Dredge chicken in flour and spices, shake off extras. Add chicken to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.

3. Add onions and peppers to hot skillet. Stir occasionally, until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic, remaining paprika and cayenne. Cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce to simmer and cover. Cook until chicken is fully cooked and veggies are nice and tender.

4. Remove chicken and divide among plates. In small bowl mix yogurt and dill. Add mixture to skillet and veggies, mix until think and smooth.  Spoon over chicken. Sprinkle more dill on top.

I served Andrew's portion over cooked egg noodles and mine over top an almost obscene amount of roasted veggies. This dish would go great with mashed cauliflower, or roasted acorn squash.  Andrew wants to try it with polenta. Yum!

0 comments: