Fuel from the First

11:27 AM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

I had a conversation with some friends last night about how we each start our day and how we each take our coffee in the morning. I launched into a bit of a speech about the importance of a healthy morning meal to set yourself up for a day full of energy and smart nutritional choices. I wake up every day and set the coffee to brew and the kettle to boil. Before anything else I sip a hot cup of water with lemon or an icy one in the summer. This always makes me feel sort of cleansed. I used to put splenda or something of the like in my coffee but found myself continually craving that sweetness the rest of the day. Now I use just a splash of organic skim milk and really get to enjoy the delicious coffee flavor. What come next is incredibly important. Breakfast sets you up for a day of healthful choices. Eating breakfast not only aids in weight management, it fuels the body to provide energy, better concentration and problem-solving abilities throughout the day. Eating breakfast is very important for the brain and body first thing in the morning. Breakfast skippers often feel tired, restless or irritable in the morning. Breakfast is the first chance the body has to refuel its glucose levels, also know as blood sugar, after eight to twelve hours without a meal or snack. Glucose is essential for the brain and is the main energy source. Blood glucose also helps fuel the muscles needed for physical activity throughout the day. Breakfast is also very important for weight loss and weight management. It helps curb your hunger and prevent binge eating later in the day. Also adding sugar to coffee in the morning, or downing a bowl of sweet cereal or chocolate donut can keep sugar cravings high the rest of the day. I love dark chocolate and always have a small square right after breakfast. I start with a good nutritious meal to power me thought the busy day and then a small sweet treat to remind my to savor each moment along the way.

0 comments: