Cookies!

12:32 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

I love playing in the kitchen. Most of the things I make are a combination of some recipe I've found and my own imagination. I think I've learned a lot and had more fun cooking this way. Some things turn out wonderfully - beef stew (hard to screw-up)and some, terrible (see post from last year "Taste before posting").

Never one to give up I decided to try again to bake a healthy and yummy Holiday cookie. This year I opted for whole grain flours and left-out the fake sugars. Truly healthy.

I like them and so does my husband! I'll call it a cookie victory!

Here's my recipe....

Pumpkin Cookies

1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour --- I used a combo of ww flour and ww pastry flour with a 1/4 c of Bob's Red Mill High Fiber flax hot cereal. This is the fun part. You can buy these ingredients in bulk at the grocery.

1 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Brown Sugar
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup applesauce
1 Tsp baking powder
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/4 Tsp sea salt
1 TBSP Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp-ish of ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice!
4 egg whites (I use the whites in a carton so I don't waste yolks. You could use a whole egg here and not alter the nutrition content very much.)

Mix it all up and plop rounded spponfuls onto a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes. I added dark chocolate chips and raisins to one batch too. YUM!

These cookies come out cakey - I think because of the pastry flour. I enjoy the texture but feel free to play around if you know more about baking science than I do!

Doing the math: if you spoon out about 30 cookies they have 30 calories each!!! Eat up! These are loaded with fiber, whole grains, heart healthy spices and make the house smell wonderful!

Let me know how it goes!

0 comments: