Hagg Lake - Learning Lessons.

10:52 AM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Signed up for my first XTERRA. About to hit the trail and test out my solo skills. Testing out a new sleeker, race worthy CamelBack and feeling prepared for anything!

Gorgeous day out at Hagg Lake. The lake is full of boats, and floats, fishermen and water babies. I'm feeling good.  My buddy Julie is doing a mini-tri with the folks from Athletes Lounge and I'm heading out into the woods. 



The trail a round the lake is about 12 miles, flat, mostly single track, with a few on road sections and a nasty path through the blackberry bushes down by the shore. Shortly after these pictures were taken I found myself wrestling with the thorny bracken. I lost. Rode up a banked corner and BAM my bike and I were splayed across the trail. Flat tire. Very flat.

I can do this. I'm prepared! I've been practicing changing flats on my own - with out my trusty coach/husband to help. Wheel off, tube stripped, new one ready to go, pump in hand. I bet I can do this fast! Ahhh. Huh?!!?! How the heck does this flipping mini pump work?? I've never used this one!!! Struggle, struggle, give up. Give up????

Well, yes, I did. I'll admit it -- I tried not to lose my shit. I picked myself up and all my crap and started walking. I didn't get too far when I realized I actually sis lose my shit. I'd left the pump and tools back down the trail. I threw down my bike and trudged back scanning the trail not know where the heck I had been. This sucks. 

Found it. Ridiculous Remy. Really. Get it together. 




Well, I didn't. I made it to the road. Some dudes tried to pick me up in a old Ford truck. I passed. No cell service. Nice. I walked up the road until I could get a few bars --- called Julie who was doing the mini-tri practice and planned to meet me back at the car. "Dammit...flat....side of the road....help....Tanner Creek....bah!"

As soon as I saw her truck come around the corner -- the tears came and the laughs. Thanks for the rescue Julie Jo. Thanks for the learning experience Hagg Lake. I'll be back!!!! And I will beat you. 

0 comments: