Gettin' Ready to Run

7:58 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Thirteen hours until the race!

Finally I'll be able to get all this stored energy out! At least that's the idea. I decided to run my first half marathon just a few weeks ago. I've never considered myself a "runner" but have recently joined the ranks of its fans. It feels great knowing I can do it just about anywhere, anytime. And I am beyond grateful for that. Sometimes I run with a huge smile on my face just because it feels so good, free and fast. Sometimes I must look mean and/or miserable. It isn't always easy.

I ran ten miles last week - the farthest I've ever gone - and it kinda hurt. Following advice from my running friends this week was a restful one. I didn't find it as hard as I thought I would to lay off my usual go-go-go workout routine in favor of naps and short jogs. But then I remember what's coming tomorrow. Oh, just a two-hour run. (Ok, I'm aiming for a little shorter than that:)

Just finished my pre-race carb-filled meal of a baked sweet potato topped with sauteed spiced onions, peppers and a little ground turkey with steamed green beans on the side. So delicious! I can feel the good healthy energy already. I hope I can sleep! Set the alarm clock early enough to enjoy a strong cup or two of coffee with a nice crisp, juicy apple. I've got a chocolate "power" bar planned for shortly before the race. I know these things are kind to my belly and great for giving me the energy I need for my toughest workouts. Tucking a couple more energy chews in my pockets in case I sense a mile six slump! I've never tried these but I figure I can use all the help I can get by then!

I am super excited and lucky to get to take part in this year's Girlfriends Half Marathon! I've never been part of a pack of 1500 women! And all on a mission to support themselves, their best girlfriends and women all over the world. One hundred percent of the proceeds of the event will go directly to the Oregon and SW Washington affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world's largest and most progressive grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists. Awesome. What a great way to spend a Sunday! I will run with the women of my life in my heart and thoughts. I am inspired and in awe of you all. A special shout out to my Mom and Mom-in-law - you are both perfect examples of strength and beauty - real "survivors" and I love you. Go Girlfriends!


0 comments: