Salmon makes you Smile

8:24 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 1 Comments

I attended a nutrition seminar this weekend at Northwest Women's Fitness club and have been inspired to add more healthy fats to my diet. Many of us have avoided fat like the plague believing that eating fat would make us fat. I know this isn't true but it is still difficult to break the low-fat, no-fat habit. Wild caught Alaskan Salmon was on sale this weekend at my local market so I picked up a nice pink pound of it. We baked the Salmon on a bed of spinach and mushrooms and served with a side of roasted red potatoes and steamed organic asparagus. It was delightful and made for plenty of leftovers. I weighed a couple small portions, about 3 ounces each, and packed in individual tuperware. I spread soft swiss cheese on a slice of whole grain toast and topped with cuke slices and salmon for an apres ski snack yesterday. Amazingly, I felt totally satisfied and my usual afternoon chocolate craving seemed to just past me by, interesting. Today's lunch was a salad with almonds, feta and veggies with salmon and sliced tomato on an english muffin. I stayed full and energized through an intense evening spin class...and still no sugar craving! I did a bit more research on the benefits of fatty fish and here's what I've come up with. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times (two servings) a week. Each serving in 3.5 ounces cooked, or about 3/4 cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish like salmon, mackeral, herring, lake trout, sardines and albacore tuna are high in omega-3 fatty acids. These types of fish contain the ‘healthy’ fats, which help to protect the body against heart disease. Fatty acids are also thought to be benefical for healthy joints, brainpower, and easing some of the symptoms of depression. Salmon does make me smile! Sardines, well, I can tell you the kitties loved them:)


1 comment: