1st 10 k

1:57 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

I'm running my first 10k race this Saturday at 6pm. Any advice?! I have run one 1/2 marathon and it was fun, but long, and you can pace yourself. But, what about half that distance? I've heard that you should start slower than the pace you hope to finish in and I've heard it's a good idea to start off with a bang and make that first mile a fast one. I haven't been training outside of my usual weekly workouts which include 2-3 days of indoor spinning, 2 -3 30 minute session on the step mill and 2-3 days of strength training. I don't run every week but I do occasionally squeeze in a 2-3 mile jog some mornings. Honestly, I'm getting a little nervous. Not only that but I wrecked my best sneakers hiking through pricker bushes and pokey grass on vacation. I bought a new pair that seem to fit well and feel good so far -- but they aren't my beloved Brooks:(

Last week on vacation I was able to break free from my regular routine and exercise and adventure in a different way. That felt great! We hikes, ran, biked and paddled all week long. It's a great feeling to come home from vacation feeling fit and strong instead of beached and bloaty:)

So, this week I've tried to keep things going with an altered and new fitness program. Summer is a great time to re-evaluate and break out of any rut you may have fallen into over the Wintery months. Looking at my calendar I noticed that the annual Girlfriends and Dude triathalon is coming up in a few weeks! Yikes! I haven't been in the water swimming since last years race! i am taking this as an opportuntiy to add one or two swimming sessions into my week. Swimming laps is not my favorite activity since exiting the swim team 12 years ago. I went out and bought a new purple swim cap and some cute googles (really) and took my first dive in on Tuesday afternoon before work. Like riding a bike! It actually felt pretty darn good to feel strong in the water and I managed to swim 2000yards or 80 lengths ina out 45 minutes. Ok, I thought -- I can do this! So, I did it again today. I think this is a great way to be active while giving my body and legs a little recovery time before Saturdays race. Tomorrow, I do nothing but munch on pretzels and guzzle water. I'll keep you posted on how things go!

0 comments: