Race Plan

9:06 AM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Last night I ate pizza. And quite a bit of it. And it was awesome! If you live near Portland, haven't been to Dove Vivi, you must make a trip soon. We walked over last night and the place was busy but the wait was short. We were seated at a tucked in outdoor table to enjoy the close of a warm Summer evening (finally). I know I probably don't need to "carbo-load" before a race that's only 6 miles. However, I'll take any excuse I can get to go in for a secord or third slice of this incredible corn-meal crust pie! It is that good!

The Summer Solstice 6 miler begins at 6pm tonight. I've never raced in the afternoon. Well, I haven't been in that many races at all. I'm still figuring out how to rest and fuel my body to perform at its best. I wouldn't consider myself a runner. If it's a sunny week I'll maybe take 1 or 2 shortish jogs in my neighborhood. The last long run I did was race day of the Girlfriend's half marathon last year!

I've done some research and reading about race prep and planning and combined with what I know of my body and mind come up with this plan. I love having a plan.

Pizza the night before. Yummm, delicious carbs. A good night's rest. Check. A morning snack with water and coffee. Half an apple with a schmeer of peanut butter. A light, short jog/walk around the park. Not sure if this is a good idea or a bad one but with all that food in my belly I've got the urge to move. A nice, big, breakfast later, about 11am. The same one I always have. No need to switch it up. Then a snack? And an afternoon meal at 3pm. Small, carb rich and easy to digest. I haven't totally decided on what this will be. I'm thinking a half of a sweet potato with a small salad. I anticipate needing a boost by race time and plan to have a cup of coffee after this last meal. Coffee gives me a boost and I know my belly can handle it. So, coffee and maybe a tiny snack of almonds and another apple half on the way to the event.

Time to implement the plan! I have a goal time in mind even though I have nothing much to base it on -- just a dream:) My split times will be written on my hand so I can check it. My ipod is set with a super awesome, super fast soundtrack. No matter what it'll be a party in my mind!

Post race -- beer and bbq of course!

0 comments: