A Week of New Recipes - Healthy and Cheap!

3:14 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 2 Comments

Sunday Night BBQ: Surf and Turf!

I can't remember the last time I had a hunk of steak! Yum, what a treat. We always grill out on Sunday night in the Summer - or at least we try to. What we grill most often depends on what's on sale at the market. This week we found -- Shrimp skewers for a dollar a piece -- "We'll take 5!" And one steak kabob with veggies for under $4 per pound. Looks like Surf and Turf to me! We grilled peppers, onions and mushrooms along side and cracked a $ 5 dollar bottle of red for a delicious meal that cost about $13!!

Monday Night: More grilled veggies with Pacific Cod and yogurt sauce. This time served with a yogurt-tahini sauce I came across in a recent edition of Cooking Light. I never use Tahini and found this a bit expensive. But, the sauce was delicious with raddiccio, mushrooms, onion and zucchini. The main course was baked cod (on sale) with a lime-yogurt sauce. The idea here is to use just a few different ingredients with different spices to vary flavor and keep cost and prep time minimal. We bought just enough couscous in the bulk aisle to serve two and finished last night bottle of wine. So, dinner would have cost about $8 plus the $7 bottle of Tahini.

What else can you do with Tahini? I'd love some suggestions.

Tonight: Grilled Pork chops with Two-Melon Salsa and Garlic Toast

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know that hummus is an with tahini. It can be good in a smoothie instead of peanut butter. Also, use it in marinades, or add some seasonings and crust a chicken breast with it and bake. I'll check with Taylor about other things you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Casie. I did know about hummus and tahini but I totally forgot! Truth is the flavor doesn't thrill me, certainly not as well as peanut butter:) I like the marinade and chicken bake idea and will try that next week. Thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete