Pimp My Bike

2:52 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Last year my bike was stolen one week before my first Triathalon. Big Bummer. I'd been riding my Trek mountain bike for at least 10 years and was sorry to see it go. But, I guess it was time for an upgrade. Not being super flush at the time, after a lot of test riding, I settled on an affordable and cool looking Gray Fisher Wingra. The bike felt considerably quicker than my Trek and I loved how smooth it felt on the road. On race day I was lucky to have faster swim and run splits because I got creamed on the bike! My time was good enough to score me a 3rd place finish in the Women's race -- but, also left plenty of room for improvement.

It' been one year and the Girlfriends and Dudes Triathalon is once again upon us! I am still riding the "Wings" and don't anticipate pulling out the credit card for a new bike this time around. After a year of almost daily riding, thrice weekly Spin Classes and a season of Mountain bike races I'm far more comfortable and strong on any bike.

Knowing I need to cut a chunk of time off my bike split to better my finish I decided to get the Wings in the best shape possible to compete. I slimmed down the tires, installed toe clips and streamlined the front handle bars with a set of aerobars. Wow. I've never ridden a road bike, let alone a tricked out, hunched over hybrid trying to be a Tri-bike. This is going to be a trip. ( Just hopefully not one straight over the handle bars!) I've got two weeks to practice. A couple of wonderful members at Northwest Women's Fitness Club have generously offered me the use of their fancy road bikes. I'd love to ride a super fast bike and increase my chance to smoke last years time -- but the Wings and I are bonded. We will hit the pavement with determination and pride! Super Wings, as I call her in this new form, deserves the chance to show her stuff!

I'm going to try to post a photo of this beast:) My bike looks like an alien black tarantula.

Go Wings!

0 comments: