The last 2 detox days and what I learned....OR Try it you might like it....

8:59 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 1 Comments

Thursday and Friday's meal plans looked much like the others. I've really enjoyed the various types of beans I've been eating and especially all the avocado. I haven't missed the bread and in fact I believe by cutting back something truly miraculous has happened. My previous daily diet consisted of 3 healthy meals with a bunch of minor indiscretions in between. However minor, these handfuls of chocolate almonds, small slices of french bread, and Andrew's leftover lunch scapes made me feel TERRIBLE. One sneaky treat lead to another. By day's end I'd obliterated my allowance for an evening cocktail by blowing a significant amount of calories on junk. Then, not only did I feel guilty, I felt deprived. And a deprived me isn't very pleasant to be around, I assure you. Giving in to cravings doesn't only feel sort of like a mistake it has other undeniable results. Horrendous blood sugar highs followed by drops that cause good moods to go bad! By not eating the things that I often have craving for -- the craving disappeared. Without the cravings I never felt wanting or longing or out of control. When cravings creep up it rarely feels good.

What feels good is being well fed, satisfied, energetic and able to focus on the rest of our wild lives. Bread and chocolate really don't need that much attention.

On Friday evening I was absolutely looking forward to enjoying a glass or two of wine with Andrew over the campfire. I was feeling great and wanted to celebrate. It was as good as I expected. We spent the weekend backpacking in Washington's Goat Rocks wilderness. To keep backpacks light our meals would have to be easily packable, unspoilable and full of energy (calories). I was a little worried about how adding bread back into my diet would make me feel. I also knew we would be unable to meet the "don't eat after 7pm" suggestion in the detox plan. Again, for me, something like a little miracle happened. Once we got out there I didn't worry anymore. I ate when I felt hungry. I made good choices. I felt energetic and light. Something had changed!
I ate more than usually to sustain us through the long hikes and chilly campsites. But, the cravings were still no where to be seen.

(I'll post my healthy campsite meals next.)

Over the weekend I realized all of this and decided I felt too good to give up on this more healthy and happy way of feeding my body and mind and mood. I've decided to stick with as many of the detox principle as possible. But "avoid" will become "limit".

-Limit red meat (still easy)
-Limit dairy (I love the almond milk!)
-Add flax and probiotics daily (Also easy)
-Limit alcohol. (Save my cocktails and wine for the weekend or a special occasion. This was tough because I've gotten in the habit of a nightly drink to "relax". I've also discovered that because I feel less agitated by caffeine and cravings this coping method is unnecessary - huge!)
-Limit grains. (I've been enjoying the black bean veggies scrambles and smoothies a ton! I think I'll pass on bread at least 3x a week to keep cravings at bay, I'm not sure I need the daily dose)
-Avoid sugar! This is critical for me and plan to keep it up. I eat a ton of fruit and feel good about consuming this natural sugar but the other stuff makes me so cranky.
-Eat lots of veggies! Yes! I love to eat and I love veggies. Bring 'em on:)

1 comment: