Change of Plans

6:16 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 1 Comments

Sometimes you just can't plan for it all.

I didn't think my Race day started off that unusual. I woke up to the alarm clock on a Sunday so I could drive out to Tigard to attend the NWPT 2010 Fall Fitness Forum. Hmmm, maybe the buzzer breaking through my sleep-in day should have been clue number one that this day was different. But, I woke up feeling great! That extra hour of sleep really seemed to make a difference. The forum was fun, as always, and I learned some challenging new techniques for core training to take back to my clients.

The sky gloomed over into a menicing gray as I drove out to the race. The rain drops came just as I pulled into the parking lot. Clue number two? I grumbled and groaned while striping into race gear and hiding in the car to keep dry.

Hark! Is that blue sky coming this way? Yes! I can't tell you how relieved I was thinking I'd be racing mucky and muddy but reasonably dry.

Riders ready?! GO!

I feel the same nervy excitement I always feel. I fumbled in my pedals at the start like I always do. I grinded through the muddy turns and passed riders in the puddles, like I always do.

But, then. Ack! What! Is that my chain dangling, hanging slack in the dirt?! Yikes! "You can put it back on!" One by-stander yelled. "Fix it and Keep going!" Shouted another. "Run to the pits!" They finally called as I gave the bike a shake and the chain wouldn't turn. So. I ran. And ran. And ran. All the way around the course to the first pit, a mile away.

"Help me!" I cried while trying not to cry.
"What's wrong?"
"Something!" I watched the racers pass me by as I stood helpless by my sorry bike.
"Sorry, this thing is a mess. Can't fix it here. Better get running."
"Grrrrrr!"
What could I do? Nothing. Nothing but run. Swallowing my pride and gut-lust to win I shouldered my bike and took off running. For another 35 minutes.
Ouch.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! And so now I understand - you RAN the bike race!
    Could there be a more striking demonstration of your determination? I don't think so, Remy. Even in the worst of circumstancces, you are amazing.
    Well done!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete