Help for the Holidays

7:36 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Title of this weeks Thoughts: “Things to do that aren’t stuffing your face over the Holidays” or “How to enjoy the festivities without getting fat” or, maybe, “This year, focus on the fun not the food”. The first one is exactly what I mean, the second one is a bit rude and the last one is boring. Whatever title you like best I think you get the gist. Chances are you’ve been thinking about this topic since Halloween. Well, how’s that going? I managed to be too busy in October to even remember to buy candy. Traveling over Thanksgiving kept me in check more than usual. I hate flying and feeling funky. But, since you know I love a good celebration and “Cheers!” is one of my favorite words, my urge to indulge has begun to grow the closer to the New year we get. And, my waist will too if I’m not careful. The following suggestions are tried and tested. They work. And I’m going to do my best to implement them over the next few weeks. I refuse to suffer any guilt this season. Live it up. And do it right. It really isn’t about the food. (It’s about the presents.) I’m joking!!! This year I want to do everything I can to take special care to show love and respect to myself, my friends and my wonderful family. When I’ve got a place to gather I’m going to cook and bake up a storm and have everyone come celebrate all the time! The winter months would be a real drag with out all the twinkle lights, stupid sweaters and feasts. Because it’s hard to avoid, and we wouldn’t want to, here are some ideas to make merry without suffering the dreaded post-party season.

Be prepared. Yes, again, planning is the key. Don’t go anywhere hungry. Have a salad or small snack before heading to a party with food and drink. Pop a handful of nuts to satisfy your hunger before arriving at the event. My go-to pre-party snack is a sliced up apple with some walnuts and raisins sprinkled with cinnamon. Sometimes that’s even enough to satisfy my craving for dessert.

Choose wisely. Scan the buffet for healthy options, veggies, shrimp cocktail, fruit and nuts. Enjoy these first. I love shrimp cocktail and it isn’t something I get very often. I love it so much I even eat the tails. And no one should ever felt badly about filling up on fruits and veggies, just beware the consequences and excuse yourself☺

Make some swaps. Try sparkling wine with a splash of cranberry instead of red wine or a regular mimosa with orange juice. Alternate soda water or tea between alcoholic beverages to control calories and fortify your will power. Try dips on veggies not chips. Skim some frosting off the cupcakes and cream off the devil eggs.

Eat before your drink. I know it’s tempting to take a glass of bubbly right away. It seems so much easier to mingle and make small talk with a glass in your hand. But watch out! After a couple glasses of mulled wine or hot toddies the deep fried cheesecake dipped in chocolate seems like a darn fine idea, how inventive!

On that note: Stay hydrated. Alternating water between adult beverages is a great way to keep calories in check and keep your cool. Make a point to chug a couple glasses of water before heading out the door. Have a cup of water before your meal and keep your glass handy for refills.

Skip something. You don’t have to try every single thing on the table. Ever had a chocolate chip cookie before? Well, then, no need to try one again when there are these interesting looking puff balls over here. Pick one of your favorites and then try something new.

Share new recipes. Go ahead and brave the storm. I brought a healthy, not ‘light’ but actually nutritious cookie to my girlfriends cookie baking party this year. Check it out on the blog. So rich and scrumptious you feel satisfied after just the right amount. They may have thought I was a crazy health nut but I hope they enjoyed the treat.

Walk it out. Up the family time or slip a way for a little quietness with a brisk stroll around the block. Get everyone together to enjoy the fresh air, come together and refocus before the big meals. Take time to breath deeply and remember what your get together is all about. After you eat, go play. Visit a near by park, walk with the dogs, move your body.

After you’ve finished your first plate of food, toss it. Or take it to the kitchen. The eating is done. Move on and make merry. Break out the board games turn on the tunes and get down to the real celebrating. Now’s the time to open your hearts, act like a kid, smile, laugh, play, tell stories, love and live it up.


Oh! One more tip. Be the photographer. Capture all the great moments. You’ll be too busy to eat and you’ll be sure to remember the good times! And if you’re lucky you’ll be spared any embarrassing pictures this year.

I’d love to hear your great ideas, traditions and stories. Write me at remy@nwpersonaltraining.com or visit me on facebook @ Manifest the Best. I wish you all a sweet and special season where ever you are and whatever that means to you.

Cheers!
Remy

0 comments: