Thursday Thoughts : Making Merry

6:50 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 1 Comments

Happy Thursday Everyone! Today I am excitedly awaiting my parent-in-law to arrive from Tennessee. I'm happy to be spending the holiday together here in chilly Portland. It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks around our place and sure to be a wild weekend too. Consider this Thursday Thoughts an ode to multi-tasking. Below you'll find my gifty granola recipe and favorite poem that I wrapped up as presents this year. I'm also sending along my holiday menu - as much to organize myself as to share the kitchen love! I'll spare you my grocery list.

Gifty and Good-for-you Granola

You can totally tweak this to suit everyone on your list or under your roof.

Combine 4 TBSP of coconut oil with 1/3 cup of honey and bubble up in a saucepan. Stir well over medium heat until its all smoothed out.

Toss together 4 cups of oats, I used a combination of rolled oats, barely and think old fashion oats. Use your favorite variety but not the quick cooking kind. Add in 1 cup chopped almonds and 1 cup of coconut flakes.

Spread the oats evenly over a parchment lined baking sheet. Cook at 375 for 10 minutes, stir. Cook another 5-15 minutes more or until oats are golden brown. I'd stay close to the kitchen during cooking:-)

Now, go to town! Take your plain old, yummy, granola and fancy it up. Try peanuts and dark chocolate chips, or walnuts and fig, pumpkin seed and blueberry, the sky's the limit! Flax seed and cranberry. Whatever. Go nuts, go fruity, go crazy.

Christmas Eve Menu: Fish feast!

Seared Salmon and Crab Legs
Sauteed Green Beans with Shallots
Stewed Spiced Apples
Creamy Risotto and Mashed Cauliflower
Toasted Italian Bread
A deep, delicious red wine
Hot Chocolate Cherry cookies

Christmas Day:
Cranberry Mimosas - A tart and lower sugar take on the O.j. original
Whole wheat pancakes with real maple syrup

Christmas Dinner:
White Chocolate Martinis
Honey Baked Ham! (There will be no assaults with meat in my house this year. Haven't heard the story?!?)
Sue's Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes. Bring it, Mom Morphis.
Shreaded Brussel Sprouts with sweet mustard glaze
Roasted root veggies (gotta have my squash)
Warm Rolls
Pie of an undecided sort. Anyone know where to get the best it-looks-homemade? I'm just not sure there's time!


And a poem. A great morning read. (Thanks for reminding me how much I love this one D.) No, it’s not exactly sugar plums and fairies, but, neither are we. It may be a tad on the dark side and A. suggested you all might find me a weirdo for sending it. “Too late”, I said. I appreciate being reminded to look out life’s door with positivity and acceptance. The view isn’t always picture perfect but we’ve got to look out for the possibilities or we won’t see a thing. Or maybe it’ll just remind you to smile and nod when your crazy family comes a-knocking for dinner.

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

Rumi


Wish you all a spectacular, sweet and special weekend. Live it up. Love it up!

Yours truly,
Remy

1 comment: