RECIPE: Pomegranate Glazed Steak with Roasted Green Beans

4:53 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Me: "Andrew, may I have a quote for my blog about how you liked dinner last night?"

Andrew: "I thought the flavors were uniquely balanced with a tangy sweetness of the pomegranate combining with a chili spiciness that made a delightful surface texture on a perfectly cooked mid rare piece of meat."

Me: "Seriously?"

See what you think. I cleaned my plate. I know, I know! But, really it was delightful. I served the dish with a fun kale salad: chopped raw kale, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, all mixed up with cashews, blueberries, red onion slivers and feta.

For the steak: The recipe asked for skirt steak. We used a nice flank steak instead, leaner and cheaper. Just as yummy.

Ingredients:

(Serves 4)

2 TBSP chili powder
1 Tsp ground cumin
1 TBSP light brown sugar
1 1/2 Tsp salt plus additional for seasoning
1 1/4 pounds skirt steak (or flank steak)
1/4 cup honey (I used agave because that's what I had in the house)
1/2 c pomegranate juice (The store was out of those little containers of just pom seeds so we seeded a whole fruit and I used fresh orange juice instead)
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 pound green beans
2 TBSP olive oil
Fresh black pepper
1/4 c slivered almonds
1/2 c pomegranate seeds

1. In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, brown sugar and salt. Rub the spice mixture onto the steak and set aside for 20-30 mins.

2. Meanwhile, whack together the honey, juice, and vinegar in a small saucepan.  BRing to a boil over Med-High heat; simmer until reduced by half and thickened, 3-5 mins.

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread the green beans on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast until crisp-tender, 8-10 mins. Remove from oven and toss with almonds and pomegranate seeds.

4. Heat a grill pan or skillet over med-high heat. Cook steak for 3 mins on each side for medium rare. Let rest 5 mins, then slice into 1/2 inch strips.  Drizzle with glaze and serve with beans (and salad).

BONUS: Save leftovers for a great steak salad lunch the next day!



0 comments: