PDX XTERRA - August 10th, 2013 at Hagg Lake

10:10 AM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Portland Off-Road Triathlon!

RESULTS:

3rd Place  - Overall Female

Overall -
Place : 30/93
Time : 2:31:37
Pace : 7:10
Group : 2/3
Gender : 3/25

Splits -
Swim and T1 : 18:47
Bike : 1:32:56
T2 : 00:46
Run : 39:07


It was another lovely morning in Oregon. My BFF Julie and I drove out to Hagg Lake together -- she had a couple broken fingers and had to sit out the race. In fact she sat in a lawn chair and cheered her lungs out while snapping a few pics - Thanks Jules! Here I am setting up transition -- my new buddy and racing pal Solana is getting prepped right next to me. The other baldy to the left was squeezing his big bike right in between us. I'm feeling pretty good.
The swim was fast and fun. We had to paddle around two bouys before heading back to shore, running out of the water, under the banner and back into the lake to do it again. For some reason I find it super fun to swim 'round bouys -- I like swimming sideways!

Transition time. I got out before Solana but she came up fast behind me! At some point I stepped on my fave pair of race shades and broke off an arm. Bummer! We headed out on the bike loop through the parking lot and down the road before ducking into the forested single track. I remember thinking, Whoa! I don't think I'm all recovered from last weekends race in Black Diamond, UGH! Took a while to warm up the legs. Once on the trail I felt better -- I know this course fairly well and my confidence was up. It took about 3/4 of the mileage before the faster riders caught me. I was peeved (gotta work on my skills!) but now I had some thing to chase! Came out of the woods in 4th or 5th and felt the fire in my belly to run to the podium.

I LOVE trail running. I feel like a caffeinated bunny rabbit. Jump, hop, leap, run! I was paired up with another women out of transition and onto the trail. Man, she was FAST! She quickly took the lead and left me in the dust. I did a major mental reboot and tried to find peace with my position off the podium. I didn't think there was anyway I could catch her.

Then. Up the next hill. I saw her. Stop. And walk.

OMG! Are you kidding me?!!? Is she done?

Yup.

Am I?

Nope.


3rd OVERALL! And my gal Solana right ahead of me. Couldn't be more stoked. (Can you tell?)

I won a sweet metal pint class too. And darn if it didn't turn out to be both the perfect post0race cocktail glass -- it also made a very convenient ice pack!

0 comments: