8:17 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Can't say enough about the importance of trying new things! You never know what you'll discover about yourself until you do. Turns out I like Triathlons! Who knew? It was perfectly gorgeous at Frenchman's Bar in Vancouver, Washington the day of the Inaugural Girlfriend's and Dudes Triathlon. The week previous I found myself out-of-work and stuck in bed with a fierce bit of some stomach sickness. Yuck. I could barely move and didn't even think of putting on my workout wear- pj's only! Finally feeling better on Friday I feared for Sunday's event. A half mile swim followed by a 12.5 mile bike ride followed by a three mile run! Ouch. I had been looking forward to putting myself to the test for a while and no way was I going to stay home sick! Woke up Sunday feeling good and nervous - I'd never worn a wet-suit, my bike was days old, I just had the gross and I was about to do a Triathlon! The sunshine was bright and the rock-n-roll was blaring on our way to the beach. On your marks, Get Set, Go!!! Everyone was excited, smiling and talking together -what a great community event. We swam along the shore of the Columbia. Breath, stroke, breath, stroke until reaching the beach and running for the bikes. I managed to strip off the wet-suit, tie my shoes and buckle my helmet in under two minutes. The bike ride was long! I thought it would surely be the end at ever curve but no....more corn fields, and more corn fields, pedal, pedal, pedal. Thank goodness Andrew was there at the transition to remind me I just had to park my bike and take off running! I was trying to figure out what I was suppose to do? Just go! My legs felt like absolute lead, heavy and slow. But I knew it was almost over. With a smile on my face I took long deep breaths and took off for the finish line. Almost to the end I felt a great sense of joy know I had done it! I really did it. That was the best feeling. And I was certainly beyond thrilled and (almost) totally shocked when Andrew told me I'd placed 3rd! I haven't won a trophy since high school:) Try something new!

0 comments: