Race Plan debunked

9:25 AM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

It was a phenomenally bright sunny afternoon in Vacouver, Washington for NW Personal Training's annual Summer Solstice run. After an anxiety inducing traffic jam I made it to the start on time. I felt pretty good after all my preparation. (See post below:) The MC asked all the "faster runners" to line up in the front. Most everyone stepped back. There were ten runners near the line. I saw my husband, Andrew, motion me to "get up there!" - so I did. And we're off!

The leader took off like lightening and I didn't see them again until the route looped back toward the finish. At Mile 1 I was nearly a minute faster than my goal pace at 6min 36sec. Wow, I kept time with another female runner. We held 2nd and 3rd place until the third mile. Up the courses only hill I pulled away. (I like hills what can I say!) But, it was at this point a cramp in my belly started to bug me. Nothing I can't deal with for another 3 miles! I pulled a bit further ahead until I couldn't see her behind me all the time.

Wow, I can't believe I'm in 2nd place! And I'm crushing my goal time!

Finally mile marker 5. My stomach aches and I think I could throw up if I tried to go any faster. Slowing my pace I focus on the finish line. Now this is where things get really sketchy. On a long straight-away I see a paved path to the left of an orage cone and a course marshell standing in the road. So, I took the left. And ran. I passed several people with race bibs walking toward me. I thought they must be the 3 mile runners cooling down. I smiled and grimmaced and ran. All the way down the path. Wait a second!! Where am I? I get to the junction of the 3 and 6 mile split. I yell out "Which way do I go?!". A women looks at my quizzically and asks me where I am trying to go?! "What!? I'm trying to win this race! Where's the finish line?" She shrugged.

Ahhhhh!!!! I am dejected at best, about to be sick to my stomach at worst. I think I started to walk. All the way back up to where I must have turned wrong. I was furious. I turned off my ipod and cussed.

I could see a few runners coming up the road and remembered that this was a race, just a race. I knew I was doing better than I ever imagined and it seemed silly not to enjoy it and keep going.

3rd place!!!! My fellow female runner had passed me during my detour but no one else and I actually finished 3rd!

My legs were too shaky by the end to get my chip off right away. I though for sure I'd be ill if I didn't keep moving. And I certainly didn't want any of the food and drink that was offered to me. (This could prove to be my later downfall)

I saw one of the people I'd passed on my "extra mile" and mentioned my mistake. He says, "Yeah, I saw you and thought she's doing so well why is she going the wrong way now?" And you didn't stop me!!! Arg!

Well, such is racing. I was beyond please with myself and amazed that a non-runner could run so fast. I'd be willing to try again:)

0 comments: