Super Bowl Supper

5:02 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Chili is fun to make because you can really experiment! Instead of going with the usual, greasy football game nachos I decided to try my hand at making a slow-cooker turkey chili.

Here's what I did...

Saute one onion and one green pepper with garlic and a little canola oil. To keep it moist and use less oil I added chicken broth to create some steam. Season with chili powder, onion power, cayenne, and pepper. I transferred the veggies to the slow-cooker and browned about one pound of very lean turkey in the same pan with more spices, cumin, tumeric, garlic and sea-salt. Add the meat to the crock pot.

I wanted a colorful chili so I decided to use tomatoes for a base and white beans for variety.

I used one can of big white beans and one can of small white beans. I squished up the contents of one can tomato chucks with mexican seasoning and tossed this in with a can of low-sodium tomato sauce.

By now it's smelling good and looks like chili!!! I don't usually like corn in soups but I wanted to add some flair so I added a can of no-sugar added corn kernels.

At first I wasn't sure the flavors worked but it just needed to cook awhile. After four hours on high I had a bubbly delicious concoction!

There's one or two secret ingredients I can't reveal yet! I'm serving the chili at half-time to three of my guy friends who I'm going have take a guess! (Hint - I got the suggestion from Loren S. owner and chef of Milo's City Cafe! - Thanks, Loren!)

0 comments: