New Beginnings

2:31 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 1 Comments

As the days get darker and drizzly my morning start-me-up needs more POWER! Cold frosty smoothies of summer have long past. Recently, I've been whipping up scrambled eggs and garden veggies served with sliced fruit on whole wheat toast smeared with almond butter. It's delicious. I could eat it all the time. And, I was. Tallied up I've been consuming 5-7 eggs a week! I don't have high cholesterol and I think eggs are a wonder food so nutritionally I'm not concerned. But, really, how boring! And once your body does any one thing for a while it get used it, the novelty wears off, and I fear maybe the benefits do too. Recently, I've noticed the rumbling of my belly by ten instead of eleven. I need a breakfast that can LAST! And is EASY and QUICK.

I love cooking with the seasons in mind and naturally add more slow cooking veggies and grains to my menus in the fall and winter. I think it's important to pay attention to what grows and thrives best each month so you can grow and thrive well too!

I got some fun comments about my pumpkin 'pie' breakfast recipe. One client said she brought some to work and a co-worker looked at the orangey mash quizzically, "What on earth is that?!" I don't like having to explain my food very much. I tend to get kind of protective of my millet messes and quinoa concoctions.

Oatmeal has never been a good wake up meal for me. The cereal tends to leave me wanting right away even if I stuff it with nuts and other goodies. Oats aren't my friend. Not enough protein. I'd have to an egg which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.

Introducing....My Quinoa, Millet Morning Masterpiece!! It's colorful and delicious. I enjoyed a steaming bowl at 8am and felt great until my 11am snack break. Three hours of fullness is great for me! (I run a bit warm:)

1/2 cup of cooked Quinoa
1/2 cup cooked millet
1/4 almond milk

You can cook both of these almost-gluten-free grains in the same pot. Make a bunch and store in an air-tight container for later.

1/4 c pumpkin. (Optional) I just LOVE it!
6-10 walnut halves
1/2 c frozen berries

cinnamon
nutmeg
honey

chia seeds (optional)
flax seeds (optional)

Heat the berries in a sauce pan with spices and almond milk until soft and warm.
Add pumpkin and grains. Stir. Top with walnuts and honey. I add flax and chia seeds for an extra burst of health.

YUM!

Have fun with this recipe and let me know how you like it!

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying this. I, too, don't get enough from oatmeal alone.

    ReplyDelete