The times they are a-changing.

9:57 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

The times they are a-changing!

My feet are wet and cold before 6 am. I could easily call it night before the evening news is over. Indeed, fall has arrived and winter is close on its heels. There’s a half of a tomato in the fridge and it’s been there for a week. Mid-June that would be an absolute travesty. No tomato would remain uneaten. Now, it just isn’t the same. The bright red skin is really kind of pinkie. I bought the thing hoping to recreate the scenes of summer. Sliced tomato and avocado, crisp lettuce, fresh green veggies. I was fooling myself. Wake up, Remy! Live in the moment! It’s autumn, bountiful and brimming with beautiful, comfy cooking possibilities! I always look forward the mounds of brightly colored squash at the grocery. They have such spectacular names, carnival, acorn, delicata, kuri kuri! Truly, I could eat baked acorn squash with a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg all year long. But, that too would be an injustice to mother nature. Some things are just meant to be saved and savored in their own special season. Quick cooking, crispy, cooling summer veggies are perfect to refresh on a steamy day. Slow cooking, served hot, root veggies and grains make you and your kitchen just a little warmer in the winter. So, break out the crock-pot and soup bowls. Put away the smoothie maker. Slow down, take it easy, relax and restore. Let your body adjust to the change of year. Go with the flow. Don’t resist it and you will naturally feel less stress and more at ease. Now is the time to cuddle up, sip steamy teas and read that book you’ve been craving. Cyclocross season has finally come to a close. My muddy bike has been washed and hung to dry waiting until next September to rise again. It was a long, heart-pounding, thigh burning, crazy hard race season. I’m ready for a break! And that’s just what November means. Ah! But, not for long! Winter is the best time to rev up workouts and push your limits. I am SO excited to get back to training. (I’ve been too busy racing to do much else). Over the winter I hire my own personal trainer and set goals to make the next season even better, stronger, and faster! Take my advice. Enjoy the holidays with your loved ones. Be kind and gentle with yourself. Eat soup. Go to bed early. Cook with cinnamon. Then hit it hard!

0 comments: