Simply Soup

7:43 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

What sounded better after the Thanksgiving gorge-fest than a nice, yummy bowl of soup, easy on the tummy (and the thighs)??!! My family and I were joking about the upcoming 'cabbage soup diet' before we'd even sliced into the bird! (We'd been sampling the sweets for several days, and toasting their success with plentiful glasses of red wine.) Truly, there is little better on tcold wintery nights that a steamy bowl of hearty soup. There are a few rules for me though...I don't like a runny soup (plain and creamy) and I don't like rice in my tomato. My favorite soup bowls are filled with fragrant, chunky chilies, stews and filling veggie meals. Give your body a digestive break by warming your food so you can save the heating for frosty toes and hands. Here are some of my favorites this year.

Lentil Soup (I've posted this one before -it's GOOD)

1 lb dried lentils, ~2 1/2 cups
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
2 carrots,slice thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp cayenne
3 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp salt
8 c water

Put all ingredients in lg pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover.
Simmer gently ~45 min, until lentils are tender. Stir occasionally, if
it looks too thick, add water.

Wicked Simple Kale and Turkey Soup


Ingredients

8 cups chicken broth
1 bunch kale, rinsed and sliced
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 pound diced fully cooked turkey ham
4 cloves garlic, chopped
freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions

Measure the chicken broth into a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. When it comes to a boil, add the kale, potatoes, ham and garlic. Season with ground black pepper. Simmer covered over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.


Dreamy Fish Stew http://remywright.blogspot.com/2011/04/dream-do-come-true-choppino.html

And here's what I've been whipping up all week for lunch:

2 cups low-sodium chicken or veggie broth
1 cup sprouts
1 cup frozen spinach
1/2 c diced tomatoes (from a can)
1/2 chopped white onion
2 stalks chopped celery
2 sliced carrots
a few dashes of hot sauce (go for it!)
seal salt
pepper
ginger
garlic

This is souper light lunch time dish. I've been eating a bowl or two every afternoon with two rice cakes topped with 1/4 avocado and a drizzle of honey. I'll add all natural turkey or ham to complete the meal and fill me up until dinner time.

0 comments: