Weekend Getaway

3:23 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments

Last weekend was the first mountain bike race of the season. And I have the cuts and bruises to prove it. All week I felt a little stiff and sore but beaming from the energy and excitement of the race. I've been riding a mountain bike for ages! In fact, ever since I first learned to ride a bike. I never wanted one of those girlie banana bikes! But, this was my first race ever. What a thrill!! There wasn't a moment of rest. Just pedal, pedal, pedal, push, push, push. Andrew and I both finished the race in one piece and neither of us came in last - not even close.

This past Friday afternoon we packed up the car and headed down to Smith Rock State Park, not far from Bend, Oregon. The drive was incredible over Mt Hood and down into the dry desert farm land. The Skull Hallow campground was busy but not full on this glorious Spring evening. There's just nothing like setting up camp under a clear sky with the smell of sweet trees and smoking fires. The sense of stress relief is as intoxicating as the first sip of wine.

We woke with a warm sun beating down on the tent Saturday morning. After a couple large mugs of strong french press coffee and grilled English muffins we headed off into the wild on our bikes. The 16 mile ride around Gray Butte was just challenging enough to feel that critical sense of accomplishment. We basked in our muddiness back at camp without a care in the world.

Sunday we explored the park. I've never seen so many rock climbers all in one place. The rocks were buzzing with happy chatter and clanking ropes. The sun toasted our cheeks and warmed every inch of us as we rode. Our picnic lunch of turkey sandwiches and oranges tasted gourmet!
It can be difficult to keep the delicious, easy, gentle feeling of a weekend away in the woods when you have to head back to town and work. But, it's important to try, I think. The city is waking from a Winter slumber and life is returning to it's streets. The days are long and full of possibility. I look forward to snuggling into my sleeping bag again soon. But, I will try to let the simple joy of it linger in my days like the camp fire in my sweater.

0 comments: