Thursday Thoughts Ed. 57 - Catching a cold

5:37 PM Remy Maguire - Manifest the Best 0 Comments


The tickle in my throat started last Thursday. By Friday I knew the germs had worked their way into my sinuses. Saturday, I managed to race my bike in Bend dangerously launching green boogies from my nose. (I know! Gross!)

Halloween weekend is always a raucous good time.  Cyclocross racers from all over gather in Bend to race their hearts out on Saturday and then get all dolled up in costume and try to ride in wigs and wild outfits on Sunday. Like this guy/bird.

By Sunday I was a totally mess! Sucking on cough drops, swallowing terrible tasting all-natural Elderberry and Indian root – something syrup. Gag. My attempt at racing dressed as my coach, a burly man with hairy legs and a beard was cut short by the hacking, coaching and general ickyness I felt by that afternoon.

Time to rest. I probably shouldn’t have even tried to race. But, everyone else was doing it!!

I called in sick to work on Monday morning. I can count the number of times I’ve ever done that! Maybe a few days every other year. But this thing got me down. For days.

Read more here if you want to hear me complain.

We often wonder if we should work out when we are sick. I say it depends. Can you? If you can breathe, your body and head aren’t aching and you aren’t upchucking (I know! Gross!) then you can probably exercise. A little. But, really, give yourself a break. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s the only one we get. Catching that bug finally means you get to stay in bed all day. But, good grief, it feels awful! Not my idea of a great day off.  It’s a sign though you should heed. Your body needs to rest. Do your best to honor that request and it will get healthy faster and stay that way longer.

0 comments: